20 years ago, the BBC created a truly magnificent radio station to cover and celebrate the Manchester Commonwealth Games. The station was led by Tim Pemberton now Head of Religion at the BBC. In a wonderful party to celebrate the 20th Anniversary, many of these individuals got together to party. These are a selection of the photos of that glorious day!

Back in 2002, Manchester hosted the fabulous Commonwealth Games. And what a Joy it was! On the 10th Anniversary of the Games some of the Volunteers, Management Team and others got together in Castlefield to celebrate. This year, to celebrate the 20th Anniversary Chief Executive Frances Done moved the celebration to One Manchester and I was invited to host the event and as official Photographer. This is a small collection of photos from the wonderful event!

5 years ago, the world was shocked by the exploding of a bomb at the Ariana Grande Concert at the Manchester Arena. At a memorial in the city centre some later, mikeshaft.com Poet in Residence Lydia, decided, at the end of the minute's silence, to lead the crowd with a few lines from a Manchester anthem.

The British basketball community has come together to pay tribute to the legendary pioneer Betty Codona OBE, who has sadly passed away. 

The 2021 City of Champions Gala Dinner and Award Ceremony on Thursday, 23 September, at the Stock Exchange Hotel in Manchester was simply off the scale. The event was a huge success with 150 delegates attending. Speakers included Diane Modahl, Co-Founder and CEO of the Diane Modahl Sports Foundation (DMSF); Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham; and BBC presenter Mike Shaft.

The 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester were officially the best Games EVER! Four years on, and the baton passes to Melbourne, Australia. BBC MANCHESTER's Mike SHAFT was the official host in Manchester and now he's off to OZ... And he's keeping a diary:

The 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester were officially the best Games EVER! Four years on, and the baton passes to Melbourne, Australia. BBC MANCHESTER's Mike SHAFT was the official host in Manchester and now he's off to OZ... And he's keeping a diary:

You have got to find out more about these Award winning guys. God is Good!

On Wednesday the 30th of September 2020, The Caribbean and African Health Network [CAHN] launched Black History Month with a wonderful on-line event. Our Keynote Speaker was Lord Simon Woolley. Lord Woolley was recently included in the book 100 Great Black Britons. This was his joyous and inspiring presentation.

Today, BBC Radio Manchester (fmr GMR) is celebrating its 50th Birthday. I have had the great pleasure of being a part of it for 21 years in 2 stints. My 1st encounter was in 1986 when, after being interviewed by the legendary and Late Phil Sayer, the then Manager, Tony Inchley offered me a job on the spot.